The Directors Chair: John Hughes

Hello, a heads up! This is a new series I am starting where I shall choose my top three films from a favourite Director. I'll share why I like those films the most and why I like the chosen director. All the rankings are of course just my opinion, and if you's like to share your own, feel free to do so in the comments below. Thank you for continuing to support this blog, and lets get started!


WHY JOHN HUGHES? 
He is the God of the 80s! (one of them anyway!) In my teen years I started to recognise the hype around his film 'The Breakfast Club' and after I watched it I was obsessed with seeing more of his work. In the 80s he revolutionised teen dramas in film, relaying the struggles and emotions that come with puberty and high school, it made his work relatable to a completely new audience. However his films will forever be relevant because the messages and themes included in them are timeless, and he showed that teen films don't have to just be comedic or simple; adolescence is a very confusing time and Hughes took that seriously. 

Here are my top John Hughes films:

1. The Breakfast Club (1985)




One of the most iconic and brilliant teen films of its time, 'The Breakfast Club' was the start of the revolution for the way that films represent young adults. Breaking down stereotypes to reveal characters that are relatable and connected by a mutual misunderstanding with their parents. Set purely in one location this film heavily relies on its script which grasps the audiences attention with its witty dialogue and emotive tension building scenes. If you haven't seen this film, then go and watch it, it's an experience to remember and plus that credit song is really catchy! 

2. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) 



WHAT A MAN! Instantaneously likeable as a character by hitting us straight away with a monologue straight to the camera directed at the audience. Charismatic, engaging and a right rebel! When Ferris Bueller takes a day off he makes it count, a day spent in style Ferris and his friends wreck havoc in New York City, and the film even includes a choreographed musical number. Perfect film to watch with friends, for it's lighthearted and carefree naivety this film is memorable for all the right reasons. Makes me want a day off!

3. Uncle Buck (1989)



Not a teen movie I know, but this is a personal family favourite and it was still made in the 80s. My family love this film and we quote it to each other constantly. John Candy really adds depth to this comedic character, eventually bringing a family back together by reconnecting a mother with her unruly teenage daughter. Hughes' direction adds to right about of comedic relief when story situations take a serious tone, bringing the film back down to earth. Excellent character arcs and fantastically directed, 'Uncle Buck' is a Griffiths Family Favourite. 

~

There we have it for the first of this series. John Hughes is definitely worth looking into if you're a bit of a film buff, his films are just marvellous and really engaging. I could have also included 'Pretty in Pink' and 'Sixteen Candles' to this list but 'Uncle Buck' nipped that third spot. There's a reason Hughes' work gets so much recognition, let me know in the comments if you agree! 

Until next time, 
Charlotte.






Comments