Top 10 Movie Musicals!

I think it's quite unconventional for a young adult such as myself to enjoy and engage with musicals, however I really do love them! The choreographed dance sequences, the heartfelt solos, the drama, it all combines to create a most entertaining production! Therefore, I present to you my 'top ten' favourite musicals! Yay!

1. Grease (1978)



Look at me I'm Sandra Dee! Featured on my 'Top 10 favourite films of all time' list, this one really had to be No.1! 'Grease' is just the ultimate feel-good, catchy and energetic musical, and lets face it, it's every girls dream to run away with Danny Zuko in red high heels and a black jumpsuit! 

2. The Sound of Music (1965)



Julie Andrews and her incredible voice completely make this film! Set in beautiful Austria the cinematography is very picturesque, and with backdrop themes of WW2, the musical brings together a family and features themes of love, conflict, war and all your favourite things!

3. Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)


'Meet Me in St. Louis' is not the most well-known or celebrated musical, but it's one of my favourites. Featuring the beautifully sung 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas' this musical leaves you feeling all fuzzy inside. The elaborate costumes and set give this musical a very elegant feel. 

4. Les Miserables (2012)



I cry every time at this heartfelt musical which was set during the French Revolution. I can't help it, the love, the death, the amazing score, it's all very dramatic; but I think that's why I like it so much! I also highly recommend seeing it as a theatre production too.

5. Mary Poppins (1964)


This live-action Disney musical, is the childhood classic that everyone knows all the words too! You're so busy enjoying this film that you forget its a musical! With its additional magical animation, 'Mary Poppins' is a colourful and lively film, filled with fun for all the family.

6. Bugsy Malone (1976) 


Such an original idea, using child actors to play adults and swapping gang culture guns for cream pie weapons! Set in the roaring 20s this period musical doesn't take itself too seriously and it's a real homage to the era, with it's accurate set and costumes!

7. High School Musical (2006)


I have grown up as a part of the 'High School Musical' generation! This film was apart of my childhood and all its sequels. The songs are so catchy and this film is a really good representation of high school life, I think everyone can relate to a character in this musical. 

8. My Fair Lady (1964)


Audrey Hepburn dazzles in 'My Fair Lady', her character arc in this film from Cockney flower girl to a lady of high society is a memorable one. Filled with grace and grandeur this film doesn't disappoint, and Hepburn's chemistry with Rex Harrison adds to the on-screen relationship and romance. 

9. West Side Story (1961)


This musical version of Romeo and Juliet, shows tension created between two gangs for possession of the New York 'turf'. The choreography is spectacular, a combination of ballet and acrobatics and ballroom, it adds a wonderful flowing movement in the dance sequences, to match its dramatic score. 

10. Oliver! (1968)


'Oliver!' was one of the first musicals I ever watched and I must say the narrative and story line is incredibly emotive! Based on the novel by Charles Dickens the film highlights the contrast to those in poverty to those in high society, in the Victorian era. 'As Long as He Needs Me' is my favourite song in the musical. 

~

Although there are many musicals out there, these are the ones I most recommend, so please share your thoughts in the comments! I really enjoyed writing this Top Ten so I hope you've enjoyed reading it and hopefully you've gained some more insight into the world of musical drama! 

Until next time, 
Charlotte. 

Comments

  1. Did you hear about the conspiracy with Grease?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did hear about it yes! The theory really changed the way you look at the narrative, it puts a much darker spin on the film. But I still love it regardless. Do you agree with the theory?

      Delete
  2. It certainly explains why the car flew off at the end, to heaven.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment